1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General Editing Template in Nvu

Discussion in 'General' started by sloy01, Jun 29, 2006.

1. sloy01

sloy01 New Member

Hi! Let me first say thanks for this great website of free templates and this help forum. I know a lot of time and effort is put into both! My problem--Is it possible to edit / customize the template I downloaded in Nvu (the open-source web page editor based on Mozilla's Composer program)? I have only used Frontpage for website design, and became pretty familiar with it over time. I don't really know HTML or any other coding or language. Apparently, Frontpage 98 is not going to open due to personal web server-related problems, so when I came across Nvu, it looked like I could just abandon FP altogether. So I downloaded Nvu, started it up, and opened the template's index.htm file. (The template I downloaded was this one--http://www.freewebsitetemplates.com/preview/template32/ ). It opened up fine, and I can edit some of the text (like in the left hand side link boxes). But, for example, I can't change the text of the left column header (Latest Matches). Looking at the source code doesn't seem to indicate that it's a graphic. I also came across some information describing how Nvu doesn't do frames, but uses CSS instead. I don't know CSS, but can learn it if necessary. Is there anything about these templates that are not going to allow me to successfully edit them in Nvu? Or do I just need to learn how to use Nvu and probably CSS? Feel free to tell me anything else I'm missing. Thank you in advance for any help!

2. sloy01

sloy01 New Member

Let me answer my own question. What was confusing me doesn't have anything to do with Nvu specifically. It's the template. In Frontpage (as I mentioned, that is my only real experience), when you go to the Source tab to see the all the coding, it's all there. All the image information, color information, the size and placement of various elements, etc. Well, with this template I downloaded, all that information is in a separate file called style.css. So when I go to look at the web page in Nvu (or any HTML editor), the entire page is there, but when you look at the Source page, instead of having all the coding information right there, some part of the Source page coding refers to the style.css for the other info (colors, sizing, images, etc.). Now I have to figure out how to make that external stylesheet into an internal stylesheet. Thank you! P.S. Nvu seems to be quite an awesome program, even if it cost something. But it's free and open source and based on a Mozilla program.

3. Scoooooty

Scoooooty Member

lol nice work sloy01 :p

4. hookecho

hookecho New Member

Can you fill me in on how this went? Im having the same exact problem:confused: