1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardware Desktop Recommendations?

Discussion in 'General' started by ozone73, Aug 6, 2011.

1. ozone73

ozone73 Member

Can anyone around here recommend a good desktop pc? I saw an Acer AM3802-U9062 with 1TB that sounded good. It doesn't come with a monitor and from what I've read online no software either. I've read some negative reviews about it. Is Acer known to be a good brand? I need something with a lot of storage space as I like to make graphics, videos, and sites. I know there's going to be negative reviews for everything. And it should be noted that just because I make graphics and stuff, I'm still not very technical about what's good when looking for computers. My main thing is storage for the stuff I make and for programs I'll use (Paint Shop Pro, SWiSHmax, etc). My current desktop (HP) is pretty old and on it's last legs. I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has. I'm in dire need of a new one. A friend asked if I could build one and I told him I don't have those kind of skills. LoL!

So if anyone could offer some suggestions (please, not too technical lol) I'd love to hear them. Thank you!

2. navyfalcon

navyfalcon Well-Known Member Verified Member

The best PC desktop is one you make yourself. It will be built to your needs and is cheaper. There are many forums (including this one) that will help you.
    The most important item is cooling, also a cheap item. Make sure the case is designed for ease of getting into and cooling (some are better than others).
    Next is the power supply. Make sure you have adequate power for the CPU.
    Review Mother boards before you choose. You can buy the parts local or off the internet (Don't forget the Hardware forums). Also build with upgrade in mind. Let us know how you are doing (including the review of the components (we may have some suggestions)
    -
    But you do have those skills, we will help
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon

3. navyfalcon

4. navyfalcon

How to build your own computer

How to Build your Own Computer - Illustrated, Step-by-Step Guide
    My goal is simple: I want to present an illustrated, step-by-step guide to building a computer from scratch, in simple language, to help make your do-it-yourself computer-building project as enjoyable, educational, and rewarding as it can be.

How to build your own computer
    There are guides on selecting the best computer parts, as well as tutorials on how to install the various components. You'll also find several product reviews covering the latest in computer technology.

How to Build Your Own PC, Part 1 | PCWorld
    Don't worry--putting together a PC is a lot easier than you might think. And there are plenty of good reasons to do it.
    Most of all, building your own system is fun. Technology has be**come increasingly complex, but PCs are modular--and with our step-by-step guide you can put together a dream machine that's just right for your needs and budget.

Build Your Own PC | PCMech
    Most lower to average priced pre-built PCs use more or less generic hardware. It gets the job done, but what you get is what you get. Upgrading can be a problem for this reason. In contrast, building your own PC means you can handpick all components in your system. You can ensure you get good, name brand hardware which will have proper manufacturer support and driver support

-
    hope this helps
    falcon

5. ozone73

ozone73 Member

Thanks for the info navyfalcon!

6. navyfalcon

If you build your own PC, could you send pictures of the progress and tell us what hardware you use and why.
    -
    That would encourage others to build their own.
    -
    Thank You
    falcon

7. ozone73

ozone73 Member

If I go that route, I will do that. Thanks again!

8. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

9. navyfalcon

Try pricing them. Select one of the Gaming computers and price what it would cost to build that model (or duplicate it). Then you can make a good decision. Don't forget the software (operating system) in the cost.
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon

10. navyfalcon

11. ishkey

Dell and HP seem to have lots of refurbished units these past 5 years, makes you wonder why they couldn't get it right the first time. Cheap parts, corporate greed.
    Not my idea of a good deal.

12. ozone73

ozone73 Member

Well I have a lot to think about in regards to finding a new desktop or building my own. Thanks for your input.

13. donaldsmith

donaldsmith Banned

Dell is good, but as you know, except for one important institution - the relatively poor graphics card. As a player, and has a budget of £ 700 you should look at the ATI 5xxx series. I will get you some of the possible systems. Dell is probably to avoid the system of play varies - the XPS, Alienware, and more recently - can be a bit 'too expensive side.

14. navyfalcon

Hp had a problem a while back and bought out Compaq to improve their name then went back to their old ways. HP used to be very good but let the bean counters get control of the computer products. So sad.
    Now it seems the best bet is build your own with quality products. Since they are modular, it is not difficult. Biggest problem with gaming and graphics computers is cooling. A case fan helps. Using copper instead of aluminum heat sinks helps. Good quality fans also help. Heat sensors on the CPU and video card help.
    Just remember the three most important items in a high performance computer
    #1 HEAT
    #2 HEAT
    #3 HEAT
    -
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon

15. Recidivist

Recidivist VIP Member

I really recommend that build your own machine - If you're UK use OverclockersUK and CCLonline. They both do component bundles that bundle a CPU/Mobo/Gfx card, then you can choose your own HDD/Opitc/PSU/Case, particularly useful if you don't know exactly what to look for when choosing your parts. If you can't decide on a spec send me your budget and any requirements and I'll be more than happy to help you pick one.

Main reason why you should build your own is these big corps have their parts customized during manufacture - They all set up their front port pins/connectors differently. For example, Acer usually change the connectors so it's 1 preformatted cable that is in the correct order for Acer's motherboards. Which means you can't use that case for your next build, unless you dont' care about the front port. They all do it in different ways.

I can support Ishkeys recommendation of CyberPower and IBuyPower if you want a prebuilt one. Due to them being orientated towards gaming they offer the modularity of a custom built machine - no manufacture personalization to screw you over later.

16. ozone73

ozone73 Member

I would build my own but I just don't have that kind of knowledge. I've been going through the links posted in this thread trying to decide which way to go.

17. ishkey

Some things you should consider when shopping fo a new pc when comparing to
    ACER Aspire AM3802-U9062 Desktop PC - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
    Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
    To old, Intel moved away from this style in 2008

DDR2 memory
    Todays standard is DDR3 greater speed and throughput for graphics.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 graphics card
    Entry level card - not for graphics work. You would be better off with an entry level Radeon HD 6570 (OEM) 2GB

Power Supply - 300 Watt
    To small for an GPU that would work with a Graphics Card for your work.
    400 watt min but not to large to suck up power and increase you electric bill.

Look in the $600 to $800 range for a pc even if it does not come with a monitor. You can use your old one until have enough saved up for a new one.
    This price range will more than make you say WOW compared to your old system and keep you ahead of the game for sometime to come.

Look at
    CPU
    GPU
    Power supply size
    Memory Type (4 gig is a good starting point for Win7 and graphics input)

Post up your findings - Definitely talk to Recidivist about the units you are looking at. He is a Gamer and knows hardware. (Gamers and Graphics go hand in hand)