1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Design Brief questions...

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by GG, Aug 7, 2010.

1. GG

GG Active Member

Hi All,

I seen this short questionnaire (below) which is used on a logo competition site that I am a member of and thought it might be handy to us to use. Not exactly as that could be considered as copyright? but we could have it similar in the request a logo customisation section for members to use.

Some we already have but this could possibly help us give a more accurate design and speed up the process of getting the post finalised.

Here are the questions for the requesters to use to help us create the logo:

Business Name
    What do you do?
    What is the exact name you would like in your logo?
    What is your industry?
    Describe the target audience for your logo
    What are the top 3 things you would like to communicate through your logo?
    Who Is Your Audience?
    What logo styles do you like (text only, image only, text and image, etc.)?
    What colors do you want to see in your logo?
    What colors do you NOT want to see in your logo?
    Where will your logo be used (print, website, etc.)?
    Do you have other info or links you want to share?

They do not have to use every one of them however, they can just choose which one they would like to answer and only those questions and answers will be used in the brief.

What do you think? Should we add more similar questions to our current system or leave it as is?

Thanks

2. cynthiajwang

cynthiajwang VIP Member

Love it! Put it to work :D

3. 1970Forest

1970Forest Moderator Staff Member

Would be a big help!!! 70% of posts are too vague. Some don't even put the main name in the post!!!!

N1 GG, see if CP could put it in the sticky's???

4. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

I think it is a great idea
    but we must remember the 3 Forums where people can request.
    Read them carefully as they are related to the Templates of the Home page and this overall Forum.

Request a logo customization
    Need to edit the logo but don't have photoshop to edit it. Post here and we will edit it for free.
    It doesn't say we will make one from scratch.

Request a graphic or website customization
    Request a customization for the graphics or photos for a website.
    Again they supply the graphics or photos.

Graphics
    Need help with customizing the graphics, photos or logos?
    Same here.

It seems we have turned into a forum of free graphics, with the majority coming for just that, not bothering to read the sticky posts or contribute back in a substantial way unless asked to.

Is it time to have just one sticky post which states all that is required to create a graphic with the last item asking them to contribute and graphic artists welcome.

I also believe all questions should be spelled out as detailed as possible to reduce confusion and if a question doesn't work as we thought it should be modified or removed. The requester should be required to answer all the questions even if N/A applies.

The heading for the post should read something along the lines of
    Graphic Requests Must Read
    There is a limited of characters space to convey the importance of the message and catch their attention.

Just some of my thoughts.

5. 1970Forest

Again I agree with Ish's idea.
    Every little bit that can be done to get all info from poster with them knowing they need to help out in order to recieve help can only be good.

6. GG

GG Active Member

Some great idea there Ish. I think we may have to wait for the new changes to see what happens and then go on from their to see whether we should add these questions and also the other suggestions that members have been saying.

7. ishkey

Describe the target audience for your logo? and Who Is Your Audience?
    Redundant - we only need one.

Why don't we combine GG first post above with Logo requests ** must read & answer in posts**
    using the same format as CP's Sticky.

Why wait? People are still just excited about a logo that they just post.

8. GG

GG Active Member

Yep we could do.

There are some that mean the same but we don't have to be using all the ones but we could join it together and let the requester choose which one they want to answer if any applies to them.

9. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

Hey GG -
    Would you like the job of putting together a workable roughy that's a combo of the two?

10. GG

GG Active Member

Yep sure no probs. I'll post it up sometime later today. :)

11. Recidivist

Recidivist VIP Member

Had nothing else to do :D

-----------------

1) Business Name?

The name of your business.

2) What is your website address (ex: http://site.com ; Site Name)?
    If the logo is to be displayed on your website, style, colouring and background blend needs to be taken into consideration.

3) Description of your website:
    Another aid for our graphics people in deciding on an appropriate style design.

4) What do you do?

5) What is the exact name you would like in your logo?
    The exact text that you want in your logo. Include other details like positioning, if you need it done in a certain way.

6) What are the top 3 things you would like to communicate through your logo?

7) List 3 logo designs you really like & why:
    By supplying this info you are helping our graphics people get an idea of the preferred 'style' you are looking for. Either post small images of the logo designs you like or the URL of where the image can be found.

8) Who Is Your Audience?

9) What logo styles do you like (text only, image only, text and image, etc.)?

10) What colors do you want to see in your logo?

11) What colors do you NOT want to see in your logo?

12) Requested size of your logo:
    Basically we ask this to determine the graphic's resolution and what it will be eventually used for.
    Is the logo to be used solely for the web? (low resolution)
    Will it be made into a poster or printed on shirts? (high resolution)
    Do you need the final image in various sizes? (various resolutions)

13) Do you have any images/photos that can be used for the logo? (must be copyright free)
    Finding an appropriate, non-copyrighted graphic is the hardest and most time-consuming part of putting together logos. If you have a hand drawn sketch of what you want, please feel free to scan it and post the image.
    (please keep any posted graphics under 500 x 500 pixels.)

----------

Not enough sleep to do descriptions for the new ones D:

12. GG

GG Active Member

Thanks Recy.

I've managed to finish it off. Let me know if this ok people :)

1) What is the exact name you would like in your logo?
    The exact text that you want in your logo. Include other details like positioning, if you need it done in a certain way.

2)What is your website address (ex: http://site.com ; Site Name)?
    If the logo is to be displayed on your website, style, colouring and background blend needs to be taken into consideration.

3) Description of your website:
    Another aid for our graphics people in deciding on an appropriate style design.

4) List 3 logo designs you really like & why:
    By supplying this info you are helping our graphics people get an idea of the preferred 'style' you are looking for. Either post small images of the logo designs you like or the URL of where the image can be found.

5) Requested size of your logo:
    Basically we ask this to determine the graphic's resolution and what it will be eventually used for.
    Is the logo to be used solely for the web? (low resolution)
    Will it be made into a poster or printed on shirts? (high resolution)
    Do you need the final image in various sizes? (various resolutions)

6) Do you have any images/photos that can be used for the logo? (must be copyright free)
    Finding an appropriate, non-copyrighted graphic is the hardest and most time-consuming part of putting together logos. If you have a hand drawn sketch of what you want, please feel free to scan it and post the image.
    (please keep any posted graphics under 500 x 500 pixels.)

7) What logo styles do you like (text only, image only, text and image, etc.)?
    This will help the designers know what type of logo styles you are into and will do your logo accordingly.
    Text Only - Includes a text only logo which is a logo with just text and some extra effects.
    Image only – Includes and image logo with no text (or little text such as initials)
    Text and Image – Includes text and images used in your logo. This could be used to either give a clearer view of what your logo is showing to your audience.

8) What colors do you want to see in your logo?
    State any main colours that you would like in your logo.

9) What colors do you NOT want to see in your logo?
    State any colours that you do not want in your logo.

10) Describe the target audience for your logo
    This will help the designers to create a logo based at your target audience (e.g Kids – Colourful, eye-catching, possibly characters)

11) What are the top 3 things you would like to communicate through your logo?
    This will help the designer know how to design your logo and to what effect. (e.g could be targeted to attract new businesses, gamers, newly weds, children, builders etc etc)

12) Where will your logo be used (print, website, etc.)?
    This will help the designers know which format to do the logo in. You will not have to decide yourself as all designers will know. Please note down everything that your logo will be placed on which includes any future plans. Failure to do so will result in a bad quality logo.

13) Do you have other info or links you want to share?
    Please feel free to mention anything else that you would like your logo to have if it has not been mentioned above.

Thank you.

IMPORTANT NOTICES:

1) Do not ask (or expect) our graphics people to come up with an almost exact copy of some other company brand or team logo. Changing an original logo's colouring and/or text does not automatically make the design YOURS!

There are still legal copyright issues to consider.

2) All members must make sure to help out within other areas of the forum as a way of giving back to the FWT Community. Failure to do so will result in your post not being taken by any of the designers.

3) If you are going to reply back to your thread after a couple of days please be sure to tell us how long it will take and we won't mind waiting for you to come back. Failure to do so will result in your post being deleted after 2 weeks and a payment to be made to the designer if you do decide to come back again.

4) Be Polite when posting by saying please and thank you.

5) Please be patient when waiting for your request to be done as all the designers are busy with other requests and daily commitments.

If you have any questions regarding your thread feel free to PM the Moderators (Ishkey & CovertPea) and they will be happy to get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. :)

FWT Community

13. ishkey

How about putting the part about contributing at the end.

14. GG

GG Active Member

ahh great one Ish. I'll do that within the next hour or so.

15. GG

GG Active Member

I've managed to do it however, I have added in some little extra things in the important notices :p which some may agree on and some may not so please verify before combining this. :D

16. 1970Forest

Glad you got the "be Polite" bit in, such a bug bare of mine.

Thanks GG

17. GG

GG Active Member

haha same here. Can't stand it.

18. GG

GG Active Member

Hey everyone,

I found this info on net and thought it might be useful. I've already PM'd most of you with it but just incase any new designers or members would like to know too:

AI/eps

An AI/eps is a vector image of your logo. This means you can make it as big or as small as you like without compromising print quality. It is also the file you can manipulate should you ever need to make changes to your logo.
    • Stationery & Business cards
    • Signs & Billboards
    • Brochures & Flyers
    • Ads
    • Packaging
    • Direct marketing & Postcard
    • Vehicle graphics
    • Embroidered & Silk screen
    • Some Microsoft Office Programs
    jpg & gif

A jpeg is perfect for use on the Internet. Since it has a much lower resolution file than an eps and cannot be enlarged without losing design detail it is not recommended for printing. A gif is another low resolution file, great for web and computer use.
    • Website
    • Internet Marketing
    • email signature
    • email marketing
    • Some Microsoft Office Programs
    tif

A tif can be used for basic printing and transferring digital images among various applications.
    • Word
    • Excel
    • PowerPoint
    • Outlook
    bmp

A bmp file is a format used by Windows. This format also has a lower resolution.
    • Invoices in Quickbooks
    --------------

Hope it helps :)

19. 1970Forest

Thanks GG

Now all you have to do is explain the other programmes within photoshop and Illisrator n I'm on the road to knowledge!!! :eek: then :cool:

20. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

Regarding the "Design Brief Questions"
    If only there was a way to make the whole thing more 'compact'. :confused:

Kinda scary long list at the moment, reminds me of the long list of restrictions/provisos from our local council we received yesterday, just to put up a simple shed!
    Also found that because we are close to the local small aircraft's flightpath we have to have a colourbond roof so any glare wont upset the pilots. That's an extra $200 :mad:

Rambling now...
    Getting back to the issue at hand,
    We all know the "K-I-S-S" system. (One of my favs)
    I'll take a copy of what you've both come up with so far and see what I can do with it.
    Also, there's lots of 'stickies' on the Graphics Forum that have become either outdated or redundant and need to be removed or at least 'unstuck'.
    Something else for the mods to look at? :rolleyes:

For now, I'm off to indulge in my other passion...
    NO, not eating chocolate or sleeping.
    HOG games (Hidden Object Games)