1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design Could use some help or advice with this layout

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by proflooney, Nov 27, 2011.

1. proflooney

proflooney New Member

Hi guys I am what you might call an old fart and newbie at this stuff. I have my own website at http://www.proflooney.net but its just a very basic site and looks like crap. I found a screenshot of the layout I would like to use as it is set up perfect for the way I have always envisioned my site looking like and kinda fits my theme of aviation.

My problem is I cant seem to find any templates that come close to this look. also i am not a techno geek so am not even sure on what type of coding i need to learn so that people can view the site on their browser but would also be smart Phone friendly.

So with that background info what I would like is if someone knows what type of coding I would need to use so it is friendly to both (from what I been reading i think ive read CSS is the best but i know nothing abt it)

or if someone knew of a template that is very close to the one I posted a pic of, or if someone could help me make up a template like that to use. I dont know but some extremely basic html as can bee seen from my website and dont know how to set up the buttons or frames stuff.

Thanks

Joe

Attached Files:

2. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

Hello again Joe.
    I've moved this post to "Give and Get Help" section of the forum as there's not a reply function on the "Request a Free Website" forum.

Have you had a good browse through some of the later free website contributions from Metamorphosis Designs ?
    The example website you've posted kind of looks similar to some of those that Metamorphosis offers.
    You'll only need to use your imagination as to what graphics and text would be suitable for your needs.

If you do find one you like, I'm sure some of our members here would be happy to give you a hand in personalising it for you.

Cheers
    CP

3. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

maybe I am confused but the screen shot you posted is that of a template, so why don't you just use that one?

4. proflooney

proflooney New Member

I was sent that pic by a buddy of mine other wise I would use it. I found something last night that was quite a ways off from what I posted and worked with the CSS sheet and the index sheet and got it close but I am having problems getting my dividers etc to show up and my boxes in the correct place. if I can get those little problems fixed I think I will be good to go.

let me get a screenshot of it and put the file up on my site so if anyone can help me then they can look at the coding and see whats wrong. like I said I know very basic HTML but i am smart enough to start manipulating things and seeing what i screw up and how it affects it and then use that knowledge to make changes. lol you should have seen what this site looked like before I trashed it you cant tell it is from the same template. Now if I can only understand what I am doing.

Joe

5. proflooney

proflooney New Member

6. proflooney

proflooney New Member

theres where I have it so far. I have the dividers 3 of them i want showing but they arent showing and there is supposed to be another tan text box in the middle and i dont know where to change that white background if I want to later on, and finally you can see the 2 tan boxes dont line up but I have them both set to the same location and i dont know why they arent.

thats the small stuff that is left and then It is ready to go.

my other question is they have a style sheet for a couple internet explorers do I have to have one also for smart phone stuff?

Also when I make my other pages do they just use the same style sheet as the main page or do I have to make a seperate one for each page? (that will be my downfall as I dont know anything abt style sheets I just edite4d the main one lol)

Joe

7. proflooney

proflooney New Member

by the way here is what it looked like when I started

[​IMG]

8. proflooney

proflooney New Member

ok I have uploaded the source files for my website I am going to try and mess around with paintshop pro here and make it look exactly how I am wanting it to end up as final version so it will help others see what I am trying to do

http://www.proflooney.net/proflooneywebsite.rar

9. proflooney

proflooney New Member

Ok here is what I am going for for the finished look roughly colors etc can change but this is the layout

[​IMG]

10. proflooney

proflooney New Member

Ok I think I got all the pertanant info so that someone other than me knows what I am looking to do. so any help would greatly be appreciated thanks for your patience with my posts but my philosophy is that if I can provide enough info a person doesnt have to ask a million questions just to help me, things go more easily. I am also willing to listen to suggestions on colors for backgrounds or any other such stuff so that the site seems to blend together the best and not look like a mish mash of different colors.

Joe

11. proflooney

proflooney New Member

well i spent all yesterday and last night trying to get things to show up but so far nothing. I dunno what to do next. I also tried to make the other pages but not sure if they need seperate style sheets or what.

can anyone give me a hand?

Joe

12. tomw

tomw Member

Hi Joe and welcome to FWT.

You might want to use a CMS on what you’re trying to do. Please take a look at the one that I’m currently working on. I have converted the template you using into theme here. Take a look at this thread. It might answer some of your questions.

13. proflooney

proflooney New Member

ok thanks tom ill look not sure what a cms is but ill read up and see what you are talking about then see how much damage I can cause lol

thanks again

Joe

14. proflooney

proflooney New Member

I saw that thread yesterday Tom but didnt understand what it was all about. I dont have a problem working with my cpanel etc just in coding my webpage. I would like to try and keep everything simple and close to what I already know as far as dealing with my server etc. once I learn more abt coding in these newer styles I can diverse from there, but until I get the page the way I waqnt it to look everything else is moot.

Joe

15. proflooney

proflooney New Member

well I got my site put up tonight. i still have to add pages and figure out how to come up to date with my navigation tabs but its getting there slowly

I know some people probably wont like my logo text etc but I think it looks good it just looks so small on my huge monitor

http://www.proflooney.net

Joe

16. CovertPea

Looks okay to me Joe.

One thing though...that counter is in the way.
    :D

17. proflooney

proflooney New Member

lol what counter? might need to refresh i dont have a counter on mine lol the problem is that i dont know how to link to my other pages I am thinking i need to put it somewhere in this bit

<div id='menu'>
    <ul>
    <li><a href="#">Home</a></li>
    <li><a href="#">About us</a></li>
    <li><a href="#">Photos</a></li>
    <li><a href="#">Projects</a></li>
    <li><a href="#">Contact Us</a></li>
    </ul>

but not sure am I correct in that the # stays and then i do my page for example

<li><a href="#about.html">About us</a></li>

joe

18. CovertPea

The one shown here :D
    (scaled down by 50%)

Attached Files:

19. proflooney

proflooney New Member

lol thats my old site refresh the browser lol but i will miss my flaming text I thought it looked awesome

20. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

It stays out. <li><a href="about.html">About us</a></li> substitute your page name for the pound sign.