1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Websites Contructive Critisism Welcomed....please review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by eVentureBiz, Dec 19, 2007.

1. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Hello. I joined this site a couple months ago but have been so busy working on my site I haven't had much time to participate but I'm finally done and ready to rejoin the group.

If you have a moment, please review my site and let me know what you think. I'd love to hear what you loved about the site and what you think maybe I should work on. The Business Forum is not set up yet so please skip that.

www.eVentureBiz.com

my blog also please, www.eVentureBiz.com/blog

Thanks everyone,
    John

2. Scoooooty

Scoooooty Member

Nice site.

Improvements:

• Try out some different colors, im not to keen on the green background and I dont really like the green/purple mix
    • Change the color of the links on the left side bar, green links on a green background dont really work out to good :p - Try white
    Layout of the site and your content looks nice though.

good work :)

3. el_tenedor

el_tenedor New Member

The minimalist color style you've chosen is good, but on the other hand it looks weird because of comparatively bright header part. You might wanna consider making them more analogous.
    The second thing is too many links/menus. I mean it's sometimes confusing to figure out where the menu is. Just make it more visible, that'd be great.

4. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Are you promoting web hosting or
    Purpose of this Site

• To teach people how to start a business
    I would think Start A Business should be after HOME or after WEB Hosting nd put Johns blog where Start a Business is now.

5. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Hello ishkey, thanks for the comment. Yes web hosting is where my company makes money but the primary purpose of my site is to help people learn how to start a business and grow as entrepreneurs, main focus on the latter. The primary tool I use to help people learn is my blog. It might sound funny but I'm more interested in getting people to sign up for my blog and participate in learning than I am signing up web hosting customers.

I suppose under Purpose of this Site I might want to move "To teach people how to start a business" down at the bottom of the list and maybe get people online to the top. That was a good point.

I know it's a different approach to web hosting, but I'm ok with that.

6. Mimoun

Mimoun Administrator Staff Member Director Verified Member

The thing I really liked about your website is your blog you have some great writing skills. I enjoyed reading the blog posts on the left in “Blog Spotlight”.
    I'm an entrepreneur myself so this website is just my thing.

The only place where I find that there is something missing is
    http://www.eventurebiz.com/web_development/
    I don't see any portfolio? I would love to see some of your other work.

7. eVentureBiz

eVentureBiz New Member

Hello Mimoun. Thanks for the compliments. I must admit, keeping up on the blog posting is a challenge. I have plenty to write about, but as an entrepreneur I'm sure you know you never "catch up" on anything. I'm always working my to-do list which gets bigger and bigger.

Also, I'm glad to hear you liked the blog because you're basically my target market - the Web entrepreneur. I have a blog post coming up where I'm going to spell out the connections I make between my entrepreneurial posts and my web development posts. I lost an entrepreneur reader the other day because I think they thought I spent too much time on Web development.

Indeed I need a portfolio area and there are a few reasons I don't have one.

1. Most the work I've done in the past have been somewhat small. I don't know PHP, just CSS and HTML. I do have a guy now who works for me which does my design work, but since we're a relatively new company, we've only done two sites - which brings me to my next point.

2. The sites we've created the owners haven't done anything with yet. So their site sits blank and not in a "showable" condition.

3. A few sites I've created in the past I'm not completely proud of and break a few rules I talk about in my blog. The website owner is ultimately the person who tells me what they want (and many times go against my recommendations).

One such website is the landscape company's website my family owns, Modern Landscape. It actually shows up #1 on Google, Yahoo, and Ask for "Las Vegas Landscape Company," so I should be proud of that. But I'm not happy with the design - but my brother is the boss and he says everyone loves it.

What do you think? Don't need a review, just your thoughts would be cool.

8. Mimoun

Mimoun Administrator Staff Member Director Verified Member

I have to say that I don't really like the style, but I know that a lot of people find a style like that a great layout. It's just a matter of taste.

I understand where your coming from, having a website with a style you don't like in your portfolio will only get you clients who want only that kind of style. Not really great if you don't like to design that way.

It's good that you have so much content on your own website which demonstrates your knowledge in this field.
    So not having a portfolio right now isn't a real problem.