1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design Can I automatically "stretch" your template?

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by Clutch Cargo, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo New Member

Have a great time over the past several weeks learning how to make a better website. I am using your Musicstore template (see attached screenshot).

The question I have is you see the two nice gray edges you created that run down the left and right side borders. I would like to have that automatically stretch (what else would you call it?) farther down should I add more information of photos. Also, have the bottom 'copyright' banner go down as well.

Right now I have to manually adjust that. Normally that would be no big hassle but I am planning several photo galleries with numerous amounts of photos that will change from time to time.

I have created a Dynamic Web Template out of your template so I can create more pages that look alike should that make any difference.

ideas? snippit of code perhaps?

thx,

Clutch

Attached Files:

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

your template should automatically stretch. the css wrapper section
    #wrapper {
    text-align: left;
    margin: auto;
    width: 756px;
    }
    shows no length restrictions
    it looks like your footer is out of place, which mosty likely you are short a </div> tag in your code prior to the footer section.

3. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo New Member

Thx ishkey for the reply. I musta deleted that section by accident as it does not stretch. I'll look for that code. I was wondering about my footer too. I'll look for that missing </div>. Seems the more I fix the site to my liking the more I screw things up a tad ;). All part of the learning process though.

4. ishkey

<div> are just place holders </div>
    also look at how large you might have made a pic or a column, as the css file may have widths set say in the sidebar or body. If you say make a pic to large for the sidebar it will roll into the body.

5. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo New Member

I just checked the footer. In design view it is nicely centered. Here is the code for that section (the </div> was not missing)? But when I load it the footer is off to the left. :(

<div class="clear">&nbsp;</div>
    <div id="copyright-left" style="width: 588px; position: absolute; left: 119px; top: 1625px; right: 80px; visibility: visible;">
    Copyright © 2008, MileHigh Productions, all right reserved </div>
    </div>
    </div>

</span>

</body>
    </html>

I also looked at the CSS and it is set correctlt as you stated. Could I have put some inline code that overrides it maybe? The width of my photos are 700 pixels but I see nothing in the CSS properties declaring a width? Only things I see are in the properties are the following:

height: 19533 pixels (yes, lot's of photos)
    left: 2pixels
    top: 0 pixels
    layout: visible
    background color: #CCCCCC

6. ishkey

try reducing the width of your youtube.

7. Sakari

Sakari New Member

First of all reduce the youtube video, In css file change the width . There will be on one tag like as width:23px. decrease is width according to requirement.

8. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo New Member

Thanks for the response guys.

Found out it wasn't the YouTube width but another 'area' too far stretched . It got to the point that it got pretty messed up but that's ok... the first tr was just to get my feet wet. So I started with the template all over again. Much better this ti around. Finally got it looking good enough to post so I will put that in your other forum for others to look and comment on.