1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Banner request for rugby league site

Discussion in 'Free Graphics' started by raidersnetau, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raidersnetau

raidersnetau New Member

Hey all :)

We are in the process of setting up a rugby league supporters website/forums for the Canberra Raiders. The Raiders are a rugby league team that play in the NRL (National Rugby League) competition in Australia.

None of our team have any real talent when it comes to graphic design, so I have come to this site in the hope that one of you may be able to help us out. We are looking for a banner to go at the top of our site and forums to give the site a more professional feel.

Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated!

1) What is the exact name you would like in your logo?
    Site name: raiders.net.au
    Site slogan: The Unofficial Canberra Raiders Website

2) What is your website address (ex: http://site.com ; Site Name)?
    raiders.net.au Discussion Forums - The Unofficial Canberra Raiders Website
    raiders.net.au Discussion Forums - The Unofficial Canberra Raiders Website - banner to go at top of page above forum
    raiders.net.au - The Unofficial Canberra Raiders Website - banner to go in header area where it says "raiders.net.au" in white text on the green background

3) Description of your website or business:
    Sport site. raiders.net.au is the unofficial website of the Canberra Raiders. The Raiders are a rugby league team that plays in the National Rugby League in Australia.

4) Have you found any logos/designs on the web that you feel convey
    the style you are looking for?
    Not really but it needs to be something that relates to the Raiders. As a reference to work off it might be best to check out the official Raiders website, Canberra Raiders (NOTE: raiders.NET.au is our unofficial site, raiders.COM.au is the official one).

5) Requested size of your logo:
    It needs to fit well on both our normal web pages and our forums. See raiders.net.au - The Unofficial Canberra Raiders Website and raiders.net.au Discussion Forums - The Unofficial Canberra Raiders Website

The size of the header area on our site is 920 x 86px, so it cannot be bigger than that. It can be smaller in width (but min. 600ish px) but it would be good to maintain the same height of around 80-90px.

6) Do you have any images/photos that can be used for the logo? (must be copyright free)
    There are many, many images of the Canberra Raiders players, rugby league stadiums, the official logos and more on Google images (canberra raiders - Google Search).

6b) If NO then try to supply a couple of graphics that reflect what you are visualizing.
    See canberra raiders - Google Search as well as the official Raiders site Canberra Raiders

7) What logo styles do you like (text only, image only, text and image, etc.)?
    Text and image.

8) What colors do you want to see in your logo?
    Lime green, blue, white, yellow, dark gray - use Canberra Raiders images on Google (canberra raiders - Google Search) and the colours on the official Raiders site (Canberra Raiders) as a reference.

9) What colors do you NOT want to see in your logo?
    Reds, purple, orange, etc... Please only use colours asked for above so as to avoid using another rival NRL team's colours.

10) Describe the target audience for your logo
    Sports fans. Rugby league audience.

11) What are the top 3 things you would like to communicate through your logo?
    Slickness, authority, and passion for the Canberra Raiders.

12) Where will your logo be used (print, website, etc.)?
    Website, see above answer to question 2.

13) Do you have other info or links you want to share?
    There are a few Raiders related sites you can use as a reference such as:

Canberra Raiders - Official Raiders site
    The Greenhouse • Index page - A Canberra Raiders forum
    Raiders Army - Raiders fan group site
    NRL - The official site of the National Rugby League - NRL.com - The NRL website, the Raiders compete in the NRL

14) Finally we need is there a style font you prefer, please let us know.
    For font types you can look here daFont or one of the many Font Websites available.

See fonts already used on website - raiders.net.au Discussion Forums - The Unofficial Canberra Raiders Website
    Really any sans-serif font that you think will go well in the banner.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this. We will be very grateful to you if you can help us out with this banner and will gladly provide a credit reference link for you somewhere on our site/forums (if you wish).

If there is anything I can do to help anyone out please let me know.

Thanks again!

-Rick,
    raiders.net.au administrator

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

"The size of the header area on our site is 920 x 86px"
    Don't know why you have to hold to the 86px but it is your banner.
    Anyway here is a reduced down version to fit the forum 700x66px which means yours isn't much bigger.
    Put in the mascot - ball - team - cheerleader - fans

Attached Files:

• b1.jpg
      b1.jpg
      File size:
      11.7 KB
      Views:
  3. raidersnetau

raidersnetau New Member

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Mmm you are right about the height I think, I had to zoom right in with Firefox to see the detail in the banner. So I think it needs to be a bit taller sorry about that. Apart from that I like the look you have gone with except for the 'white boxes' that are around the small images like the cheerleader etc.

Would it be possible to get the same sort of thing except with the height increased so it doesn't look squished and the 'boxes' around the images in the banner gone?

I should also mention that the SMF forum auto scales to the user's resolution whilst the other parts of the site are optimized and made to fit for 1024x768, not that this is a great issue as i doubt many people still use 800x600 or less unless they are on a mobile device.

Thanks a lot for your effort :)

4. ishkey

Sure no prob on the height increase. You should be able to make the height any size and use it in both places. Most all templates in SMF do not have a set height in the banner so you can create your own style but if it does just look for the style sheet which has the header logo and adjust it's size. This one is 920x136px I removed the background around the cheerleader, stretched the two pics right up to her, so she blends in and blurred the edges of the pictures to blend in more, added a transparency mix to bring out a tad more color in the pics.
    Small size for show on the forum here your size in the zip. Put it in to see how it looks, let us know so we can see it. (zip Removed)
    700.png

5. raidersnetau

raidersnetau New Member

That looks so much better now thanks :)

I put it on the forum but I couldn't find the right part in the index.css template file to put it in, so I put it in the forum as an ad using the ad management SMF mod instead until I figure that out. Has basically the same effect anyway.

I noticed that you said the banner was 920x136 and that is what the file is called but when i look at the properties of it it says that its only 920x98 so I'm not sure whats going on there.

In the img tag I set the size to 90% width/height because it was longer than the forum when viewed in 1024x768 but much smaller when viewing in larger resolutions like my monitors native resolution of 1360x768. Using width/height="90%" seems to scale it to a good size for both those resolutions compared to the size of the forum.

One thing I was wondering is if it would look better if the words "The Unofficial" in the slogan were moved to the left a little so that it was sitting more centered under the viking logo and the words "Canberra Raiders Website" were moved left to center under the "raiders.net.au" site name. Im not sure if it will look better or not or even fit properly but its just an idea i had.

Anyway it's up on the forum now so you can see what you think - raiders.net.au Forums - The Unofficial Canberra Raiders Website

Thanks again for your work :)

6. ishkey

It's called zipping up the wrong file.
    Adjusted:

It looks good up there.
    New zip two sizes 98px and 136px (removed)

7. raidersnetau

raidersnetau New Member

Hehe no worries I thought that might of been what happened.

Yeah it sure does. Thanks :)

Was just wondering if you could do one final thing for me - make it so there is no double space in between "The Unofficial" and "Canberra Raiders Website" but still leave the T in "The" and e in "Website" where they are? Is it possible to just stretch the text a little so it is slightly larger so that no double space is needed? Then I think it would be perfect.

It's up on both the forum and other pages now:

raiders.net.au - The Unofficial Canberra Raiders Website

Canberra Raiders Forums - raiders.net.au - The Unofficial Canberra Raiders Website

8. ishkey

look at this to see if it's ok.

Attached Files:

9. raidersnetau

raidersnetau New Member

Thats perfect thanks so much for that we really appreciate it :)

Our New Banner - credit post for you

I also got into the template file for the SMF and put the img code in there so it's working properly now.

Once again thanks for your great work :)

10. 1970Forest

1970Forest Moderator Staff Member

Always nice to see requestees keep to their word and credit the designer.

Great work Ish, but your fame is unlike mine, its still built into the logo..hehe (sorry private joke)

11. ishkey

Glad it worked out raidersnetau, noticed both sites and they look good.
    Thanks for the byline.
    An this is for Forest thumb_lightleft.gif as his name will be forever immortalized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.