1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Customization Attn tomw

Discussion in 'General' started by 1970Forest, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1970Forest

1970Forest Moderator Staff Member

Hi Tom

In the past you have offered your help to me in setting up a website?

And to be honest until now have had no real cause to do so, but things change :rolleyes:

As ALL the other MOD's have their's it is about time I looked at doing the same.

I know for a fact Ishkey would help me in this venture (and prob all my other friends on here), so no disrespect to him but at this present time I know he has a lot on, and would not both him

So if you are up to the challenge and would walk me through EVERY step of the way via a tut on this thread (so others too can learn) I would happily work along side you (and yes I want a better site than Ishkey, CovertPea (my own Lady S) and GG!!!!)

Not for 1 moment would I not decline their input (just covering me rear end)

So ball in your court sir, can you deliver to a complete newborn or not :whistle:

(private joke but always ask via pm) This could be fun Ish, I think I may be worse than NN on this and tomw may shoot me!!!o_O

2. tomw

tomw Member

Sorry Forest, you did not get my attention till now. It must be that spinning logo.:ROFLMAO:

I am certainly up to the challenge but I might stumble along the way though so hopefully others will give me a handle when that happens.

I will take that ball and run, err walk with it (too old to run) and see if I can deliver to a baby (you???) and have fun with it.

To get started (step 1), get a domain name and I will set up the site for you. Right now you can register one at networksolutions.com for just 2.95. yourdomian.uk.com may cost more. Note, just get the domain name, I will provide hosting for now. Later you can move it somewhere else if you want.

3. 1970Forest

Thanks tomw....now what to call my domain???..... (give me a day, such a big decision:ROFLMAO:)

4. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Now that's what I call moving fast.
    1970Forest you have to watch us old people - slow to get started but fast Finishers :ROFLMAO:
    I always set up the site first, then register the name and then :sleep:

5. 1970Forest

Good idea Mr Ish, maybe when the site templates etc are done , then the naming may just flow.....or not:rolleyes:

6. tomw

tomw Member

That can easily done but it will not be a standalone site since hosting requires a domain name.

I just created your site at w-cms.org as a subdomain and named it forest. You can access it either using w-cms.org/forest, w-cms.org/?site=forest, or forest.w-cms.org.

Next step is to update the contents and perhaps select a template for the layouts.

I have written some tutorials on how to do that at w-cms.info. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

7. 1970Forest

Questions....way too many, but I'm sure you'll guide me and others through it. Thanks tomw

8. 1970Forest

Just quickly; password cna it be changed pls (just you can't be too careful nowadays with others wanting to mess around) will PM

9. 1970Forest

The tut seems very simple, or am I missing all the hard parts hind in the small print somewhere???:LOL:

10. tomw

tomw Member

Yes, that is the first thing you must do. Login and go to the cPanel and click on the Password link to change the password.

I just updated the name of the site to make sure I did not leave out anything. I will look for the new password.

11. 1970Forest

Password changed; sorry took so long.....4yr olds don't care if you need to concentrate....:ROFLMAO:

12. ishkey

that's my man tomw
    no lame excuses 1970Forest
    :ROFLMAO:

13. tomw

tomw Member

Thanks Mr. Ishkey.

Each site has two members account – admin and member. Login as member will only allow updating page contents (no administrating functions such as adding pages and so on). Also login as a member, a WYSIWYG editor will be given to you for updating contents; whereas admin can use HTML editor which is the default. Maybe you should change the password for member too. Note that you must login as member to do that.

I babysit my two grandsons full time till they each turned 4 so I know that well.

14. 1970Forest

So far so good...2 passwords changed and it hasn't crashed yet (as per PM).

I was wondering why 2 logins... makes alot of sense now

15. tomw

tomw Member

I suggested you to use your own template via PM. You can select one from here and we modify it to suit your need.

16. 1970Forest

Now this is where I will need help in deciding as there are sooooooooooooo many templates.

So criteria; Support scrolling frames / pop outs (if pos) and must be glossy / metallic, but if I am not mistaken that's where I can edit colouring? and drop-downs / highlighting menus.

So where's best to start; feel free all to jump in with some ideas

17. ishkey

Here this should help ssports_juggling_100-100.gif
    :ROFLMAO: couldn't resist...

18. 1970Forest

19. ishkey

Just start looking
    Copy the link address in notepad of the ones that attract your eye (color, layout, whatever)
    Then go back and look at those again trying to imagine how they would fit for you.
    Thin down the list.
    Try a few out.
    (y)

20. tomw

tomw Member

The template you selected will not be permanent once implemented. In fact you can use multiple templates for each site and each page can have its own template as well; and you can switch to different templates anytime by just changing the selection. However, the layouts of the site you have in mind maybe limited to your selections. For example, ishkey.com is mainly use for showcasing images so using a template with multiple columns and sections may not show up well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.