1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design Adding 2nd page with different layout...

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by celandrea, Feb 4, 2010.

1. celandrea

celandrea New Member

Hello! I am having a horrible time trying to figure out how to make my pages look different. This is my first time building a website so I'm really new at this. I'm using a template that has a sidebar and content box on the first page which is great. I have it perfectly the way I want it. Then I tried to make a new page. On the new page I don't want a sidebar so I deleted it and made the content box wider. But that exact same changes happened to my original page. I can't change the width of the content box on one page without the other mirroring the changes. Is it impossible to have a sidebar on one page but not the other? Do the pages have to look identical? I've tried saving the changes I've made to the css file under new names but nothing works. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for you help!!

2. djwilson

djwilson New Member

make a copy of the stylesheet (.css) and edit the copy and link that too the second page without the sidebar.

3. celandrea

celandrea New Member

Thank you so much. Everything makes much more sense now.

4. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Or create a second <div>contentpagetwo</div> for your index page
    and create a second set of rules in the css file
    #contentpagetwo {your rules;}

Remember a style sheet is made up of rules. Each rule begins with a selector.
    A selector is normally one or more HTML elements (tags), and the declarations inside the rule describe how those elements should appear. A declaration is simply a CSS property followed by a value. You can also use classes as selectors, which aren't tied to specific HTML elements.

Once you've linked a style sheet to your pages, any changes to that style sheet will apply to every HTML document it's linked to. This is where the benefits of style sheets are most apparent, since you no longer have to update every single page in order to overhaul your site's design.

The html files calls up the rules you have declared in the css file.

5. djwilson

djwilson New Member

There is that also, ishkey :) I just thought i'd keep it simples ;)

6. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Yea your right sometimes I forget simple and easy.